Manafwa Chief Magistrate Esther Nalungi on Wednesday this week, convicted a man who cut off a teenager’s hand after the latter denied him sex in 2020.
In July 2020, Evelyn Namasopo a 16-year-old senior two student and resident of Nabooti Village, Nakatsi Sub County in Bududa district survived death when a one Derick Kuloba allegedly chopped off her right hand and injured other parts of her body, for rejecting his sexual advances.
“He intercepted me and tried to force me to have sex with him. When I refused, he started cutting me while ordering me to put off my clothes and when he realized that I had completely refused, he lifted the Panga and tried to cut my head, which I guarded with my hand leading to its loss,” emotionally tearful Namasopo told reporters at Hotel 100 in Mbale on Monday, March 22.
After this gruesome incident, Kuloba took off leaving Namasopo helpless
“If it wasn’t a friend who called us and we rushed her to Bududa Hospital, and later referred to Mbale Regional referral for better management, it would have been a different story today,” Justine Khainza, Namasopo’s mother said during the same presser.
“When the case was reported to Bududa Central Police Station, to our dismay a defilement case reference CRB 361/2020 instead of attempted murder was opened and a suspect (Derick Kuloba) was arrested but later release released on a police bond,” she added
Khainza said that she later filed a Complaint to Mbale Regional Police, which led to the summoning of the file from Bududa CPS, “and a new case of Attempted Murder was opened on Reference CRB 344/2020. Kuloba was re-arrested and produced in Mbale High Court on December 17, 2020, where he was once again released on a Court Bail,”
This repeated extension of Bail angered Khainza who sought help from the Human Rights Activist. Mwizza Mariam later intervened and approached various Offices till the suspect was re-arrested and arraigned before Court.
The prosecution yesterday re-asserted Kuloba and attacked the victim near a forest on her way home to pick the food for her sick mother who had been admitted. Court heard that Kuloba ordered the victim to undress and when she refused, he pulled out a machete and started cutting her.
Justice Nalungi found Kuloba guilty of attempted murder and set June 20 as the date for sentencing Kuloba.
Godfrey Wakasadha, the state prosecutor asked the court to give Kuloba a heavy sentence because he was not remorseful.
This ruling was welcomed by Mwiza who went all over her social media platforms jubilating.
Mwiza had spent one year following up this case, traveling to Mbale several times, including petitioning the State House Anti-Corruption Unit (SHACU) which she says played a significant role in arresting Kuloba who had been shielded by a section of Authorities in the Elgon region.