Home News Police Warns as Burning Charcoal Stove Kills 3 in Kibuku

Police Warns as Burning Charcoal Stove Kills 3 in Kibuku

0

Police in Bukedi Region metropolitan area are investigating the circumstances under which three people died due to suffocation.

The incident took place on Christmas in Bwase village, Buluya Parish, Kirika subcounty in Kibuku District.

“Today 25/12/2022 at around 0934hrs, the Police at Kirika Community Police Station, recieved a report of possible suffocation by carbon monoxide from a charcoal stove left burning with food on it while they went to sleep,” ASP Immaculate Alaso, the Bukedi North Region Police spokesperson said in a press statement.

“The neighbours upon realising that they had delayed to wake up, felt concerned and attempted to wake them up. Their efforts proved futile as there was no response. They were forced to break the door only to find their lifeless bodies inside the house,” she added

The deceased, she said have been identified as Florence Nawire F aged 58 years, and two juveniles Oliver Sumaya aged 10 and Kakai Lot, 7.

“The bodies of the deceased were conveyed to Mbale referral hospital for postmortem examination,” she said 

Alaso cautioned the public that the largest group that suffers from carbon monoxide poisonings are families. 

“It is important to note that carbon monoxide poisoning is entirely preventable. Individuals or groups of persons can protect themselves by learning the symptoms of carbon monoxide and how to prevent it,”

She outlined some of the crucial tips that will aid in preventing carbon monoxide poisoning, Including;

1. Never use a charcoal stove, charcoal grill, lantern or portable camping stove inside a room, home, tent or camper.

2. Keep vents and flues free of debris. Debris can block ventilation and escape of carbon monoxide.

3. Gas cooking stove tops and ovens should not be used for supplemental heat.

4. Never run a generator, pressure wisher or any gasoline powered engine, inside a basement, garage or other enclosed structure, even if the doors or windows are open.

5. Never leave the car engine running while in an enclosed or partially enclosed space, such as a garage. If you are to wait in a car, make sure its parked outside.

6. Those with heating systems, water heaters, any other gas or burning appliances, should ensure they are serviced regularly by a technician.

7. Install carbon monoxide detectors, where possible and check the batteries every 6 months.

8. Those with boats are advised to schedule regular engine and exhaust systems maintenance. And avoid swimming under the back deck as carbon monoxide builds up near exhaust vents.

“Although every one is at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, its particularly more dangerous for children, because they breathe faster and inhale more carbon monoxide. This harms the ability of his or her blood to transport oxygen,” she said.

Previous articleKayabwe fatal accident claims 5
Next articleMbale: UNRA Constructed Bridge Collapse Barely A Week After Commissioning

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here