Home News KCCA Institutes a City Road Committee

KCCA Institutes a City Road Committee


The leadership of the Kampala Capital City Authority on Thursday instituted a city roads committee.

The Committee is chaired by Nakawa East Member of Parliament Ronald Balimwezo Nsubuga.

The city roads committee is established under section 25 ( 2) of the Uganda road fund act 2008 and its role is to provide oversight over road funds allocated to local governments to undertake routine and periodic maintenance of the road.

The committee is made up of the lord mayors, division mayors, Executive director, town clerks, director of engineering, and the area members of Parliament.

After a closed meeting with the concerned stakeholders that took over 3hrs at city hall this morning, the lord mayor confirmed that they anonymously appointed Eng. Ronald Balimwezo to chair this committee.

He called upon the government to boost funds for infrastructural development in the city.

Lukwago says instituting this committee has been delayed because the minister of finance hasn’t spelled out the roles of the roads committee.

He also confirmed that as the authority they have received shs20.3bn out of the 24.8bn, they are supposed to get as the authority from the Uganda road fund this financial year.

He also clarified that even the 6bn President Museveni directed the Ministry of Finance to be given to KCCA hasn’t reached the authority accounts.

The chair of the city roads committee, Eng Ronald Balimwezo Nsubuga promised to lobby in parliament to ensure that roads in the city are maintained to look better.

He also noted that out of the 2110 km of the roads in the city, 30% are tarmac and the rest is marram, and out of it 70% has outlived the design line and therefore they need to be revamped.

The executive director for Kampala capital city Authority Dorothy Kisaka welcomed the constituted committee since it will oversee the seasonal maintenance of roads.

She adds that the Uganda road fund gives KCCA funds to maintain them so this committee will monitor their roads.

Meanwhile, Lukwago also clarified that the road act 2019 gives powers to the lord mayor to chair the roads authority committee and they are to sit on Monday and harmonize the operations of these two committees with the view of addressing the situation in the city.

Previous articleKyamagero Ends Journey with Ntinda-Based Radio 4
Next article2019 PLE Results of Over 3000 Pupils Given to Headteachers


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here