Home Health ‘Ebola Will Soon Be History’ Says Ebola Incident Commander

‘Ebola Will Soon Be History’ Says Ebola Incident Commander

0
Lt. Col. Dr. Henry Kyobe the Ebola Incident Commander, at the ministry of health (Courtesy Photo)

Lt. Col. Dr. Henry Kyobe the Ebola Incident Commander, at the Ministry of Health (MOH) has revealed that although statistics are showing a very complex picture of the Ebola outbreak, they are working hard together with local and international partners to ensure the safety of the people in the country and the neighbors.

On September 20, MOH confirmed an Ebola outbreak in Mubende district after tests run by the Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) on a suspected case-patient released on September 19 confirmed an Ebola (Sudan strain) infection.

“We think cases may rise in a few days, but we are on the ground working hard to care for our people, ensure the safety of our health workers, and also ensure that we protect our neighbors such that they don’t get trans-border infections,” Dr. Kyobe highlighted.

Dr. Kyobe made these remarks at a special World Health Organization (WHO) Africa technical briefing about the implications of the newly declared Ebola outbreak in Uganda.

The Ministry of Health on September 21st confirmed a total of 11 suspected cases in Mubende district out of which was a probable death of a 1year old female from Kilwani village.

LineSteppa Community

Doctor Patrick Otim the Health Emergency Officer, Acute Events Management Unit at WHO Regional Office for Africa who was also a panelist emphasized global solidarity because if a country openly declares an outbreak it is important to continue working together as one single global community.

“An outbreak anywhere is a threat to health and security everywhere so we should all enhance our capacities to respond” Otim articulated.

Doctor Patrick Otim the Health Emergency Officer, Acute Events Management Unit at WHO Regional Office for Africa (courtesy photo)

Otim also added that they have gained significant experience as W.H.O over the past years, and they are now able to use this to respond effectively to contain the outbreak and to protect the communities and health care workers through the known measures carried out before.

LineSteppa Community

Otim further urged the media to only spread messages of prevention and not misinformation and also called upon the fourth estate to contribute to stopping the spread of the disease not contributing to the spread of the disease.

Dr. Anna Maria Henao-Restrepo the Co-lead R&D blueprint for epidemics at WHO Health Emergency Program noted that there shouldn’t be over necessary emphasis on vaccines as the only way to control outbreaks.

“Although I’m passionate about vaccines when we focus only on them, we mislead the public on the importance of the other control measures” Anna Maria highlighted.

Dr. Anna Maria Henao-Restrepo the Co-lead R&D blueprint for epidemics at WHO Health Emergency Program (Courtesy Photo)
LineSteppa Community

Uganda has had several Ebola outbreaks with the current one being the 3rd Ebola Sudan outbreak.

Ebola is a viral, acute disease that can turn fatal if left untreated and it can be transmitted through close contact with the blood or other body fluids of infected animals, blood and body fluids of a person who is sick, and also through objects that have been used by a positive person.

According to experts, Ebola has symptoms like sudden onset fever, fatigue, chest pain, diarrhea, vomiting, unexpected bleeding, yellowing of eyes, and finally bleeding manifestation.

By press time on Thursday, the Ministry of Health confirmed six new cases in the last 24 hours which brings the cumulative cases of Ebola to 7 with no new deaths.

So far, there has been one confirmed death and 7 probable deaths in the whole country.

Previous articleGov’t sponsorships should benefit the poor- Deputy Speaker Tayebwa
Next articleTodwong urges councilors to intensify on-ground leadership

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here