National Unity Platform president, Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu alias Bobi Wine has called for a speedy investigation into the Friday night suspected ADF attack that left 25 students of Lubiriha secondary School in Kasese district western Uganda dead and 8 others with serious injuries.
As the Chief of Defense Forces Gen Wilson Mbadi and Commander Land Force Lt Gen Kayanja Muhanga rush on the ground to assess the magnitude of the attack, Bobi Wine said the perpetrators should be brought to book at the earliest time possible.
“We woke up to the horrifying news of an attack on a school in Kasese, in which over 25 children were murdered and others abducted,” he said adding,
“As more details come in, I join all Ugandans of goodwill in sending deepest condolences to the families that lost loved ones in this tragedy. We hope that investigations can begin in earnest so that the perpetrators of this crime face justice,”
Maj Gen Dick Olum, the UPDF commander of mountain division and operation Shujaa in DR Congoon Saturday morning said that the deadly militants spent two days near the school.
Addressing locals on Saturday morning, Maj Gen Olum said their intelligence has so far discovered that the militants planned this attack from here at least two days.
“We have got information that the rebels spent two nights here before they raided the school. We have sent for choppers to be deployed in our search and rescue operation for the students who were abducted,” he said
According to Gen Olum, some students, especially the boys were burnt to death while the girls were hacked and others were taken as captives.
He called upon residents to be vigilant and report any person whom they are not comfortable with.
His statement came shortly after residents captured one suspected ADF militant and handed him over to Police for further management.
UPDF spokesperson Brigadier Felix Kulaigye said on Saturday morning that both the