Maj Gen Dick Olum, the UPDF commander of mountain division and operation Shujaa in DR Congo has said that the deadly militants of the Allied Democratic Forces spent two days near the school which they created havoc on.
On Saturday morning the country woke up in shock following a deadly attack by the suspected late Friday ADF deadly attack on Lubiriha secondary School in Kasese district western Uganda that left 25 students dead. These assailants also stole food including posho and beans and set the school in a blaze.
Addressing locals on Saturday morning, Maj Gen Olum said their intelligence has so far discovered that the militants planned this attack from here for at least two days.
“We have got information that the rebels spent two nights here before they raided the school. We have sent for choppers to be deployed in our search and rescue operation for the students who were abducted,” he said
According to Gen Olum, some students, especially the boys were burnt to death while the girls were hacked and others were taken as captives.
He called upon residents to be vigilant and report any person whom they are not comfortable with.
His statement came shortly after residents captured one suspected ADF militant and handed him over to Police for further management.
UPDF spokesperson Brigadier Felix Kulaigye said on Saturday morning that both the Chief of defense forces Gen Wilson Mbadi and Commander Land Force Lt Gen Kayanja Muhanga are joining the other forces on the ground for on-spot assessment.